In an emergency please telephone 999.
If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18000.
You should use these numbers if:
- A crime is happening right now.
- Someone is in immediate danger, or there is a risk of serious damage to property.
- A suspect for a serious crime is nearby.
- There is a traffic collision involving injury or danger to other road users.
112 is the common European emergency telephone number that can be dialled free of charge from most mobile telephones and, in some countries, fixed telephones in order to reach emergency services.
For all other calls to the police in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland please telephone 101.
Calls cost 15p from mobiles and landlines, regardless of duration. They are free of charge from payphones.
If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.
You should use these non-emergency numbers to:
- Report a crime not currently in progress - for example a stolen car, burglary, or damaged property.
- Give information to the police about crime in your area.
- Speak to the police about a general enquiry.
- Contact a specific police officer or member of staff.
If you need to contact the police from elsewhere please check the website of the force you wish to contact. Please see the complete list of force websites for links. Please note that some forces may not advertise local numbers that can be called from abroad and that where such numbers are made available, they may not be staffed 24/7.
Many police forces provide online forms and information about alternative contact methods (like text messaging or email) on their individual websites. Please see the complete list of force websites for links.
Other useful phone numbers
|Action Fraud||0300 123 2040|
|Anti-terrorist Hotline||0800 789 321|
|Crimestoppers||0800 555 111|
|National Crime Agency||0370 496 7622|
|National Police Air Service||01924 292 252|
|NSPCC Helpline||0808 800 5000|
|Victim Supportline||08 08 16 89 111|